International Law Workshop - Discussion - Protective Edge, Gaza
We will discuss legal aspects arising of operation Protective Edge: Is Gaza an occupied territory? Are the actions that took place legal according to the laws of warfare? What is the meaning of “proportionality” in this respect? These questions and others will be discussed based on several short texts relating to the subject.
Is Gaza Occupied?
- Aeyal Gross, Rethinking Occupation: The Functional Approach
- Pnina Sharvit-Baruch, Is the Gaza Strip Still Occupied by Israel?
- Sari Bashi, Responsibility Without Control; Control Without Responsibility
(These posts are part of the Symposium on the Functional Approach to the Law of Occupation and you are welcome to read more posts from it)
Conduct of Hostilities
This text relates to two items:
- A joint letter from human rights organizations
- Response by Israel's Attorney General (Hebrew; the response is summarized in the above text)
- Pnina Sharvit-Baruch, Operation Protective Edge: Legality and Legitimacy
- Michael Sfard, A “Targeted Assassination” of International Law (Available on Moodle)
- Janina Dill,Israel’s Use of Law and Warnings in Gaza
- Laurie Blank, Asymmetries and Proportionalities
The Electricity/Water Debate
Third Party Duties